Re: HEADS UP: ports/ and 10.0-CURRENT

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:56:26 -0700
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Ade Lovett <ade_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> With the advent of the conversion of HEAD to 10.0-CURRENT and, as to be
> expected, ports/ is going to be essentially unusable for a while.
>
> The issue stems from configure scripts (to choose something completely
> at random) assuming that FreeBSD would never jump to a double-digit
> major version number, and as such, various regexps for "freebsd1*" (ie:
> FreeBSD 1.1.x) are now matching "freebsd10".
>
> This is going to be some fairly fundamental breakage.
>
> However, until such time as 9.0-RELEASE is completely out of the door,
> with autotools hat on, I will _not_ be committing any changes to
> infrastructural ports to "fix" this.
>
> That is to say, until 9.0-R happens, and for some considerable period
> afterwards, ya'll can pretty much expect ports/ to be non-functional on
> HEAD.  PRs mentioning this will be gleefully closed referencing this
> message.

aDe,

Could an entry to this effect be added to UPDATING (with a matching
entry when ports/ is "unbroken").

Anyone running CURRENT should be reading your message, but I'm a "belt
and suspenders" type of
guy on this sort of thing. Backing out of CURRENT and moving to
9-STABLE can be a REAL pain that
will likely rapidly get worse as HEAD gets less and less frozen.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com