Re: FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2 or 3?

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6727_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:28:06 +0000 (GMT)
I looked at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/

and found a BETA3 but only for some platforms not including i386 and amd64, but that was yesterday.

I looked later during the day and found the BETA3 for i386 and amd64.

Now the question is how to update without trashing the BETA2 installation with all the applications build from ports.

I don't want to rebuild everything from ports every time there is a new beta or release candidate; that would be a very inefficient use of time.

If I can't update with the installer, can I update from source?

Would the best way be to download only the source (src.txz), then
 rm -rf /usr/src/*
 then extract the new source?
Otherwise I don't know what to cvsup to, and I did read the FreeBSD Handbook.  I also read /usr/src/README and UPDATING.

I don't want to update source to HEAD which might now be 10.0-CURRENT.

Tom