Re: FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2 or 3?

From: Olivier Smedts <olivier_at_gid0.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:45:45 +0200
2011/9/28 Thomas Mueller <mueller6727_at_bellsouth.net>:

> I looked at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/
>
> and found a BETA3 but only for some platforms not including i386 and amd64, but that was yesterday.
>
> I looked later during the day and found the BETA3 for i386 and amd64.
>
> Now the question is how to update without trashing the BETA2 installation with all the applications build from ports.
>
> I don't want to rebuild everything from ports every time there is a new beta or release candidate; that would be a very inefficient use of time.
>
> If I can't update with the installer, can I update from source?

I'm only used to source-updating, but maybe you can update from one
BETA to another with freebsd-update ?

> Would the best way be to download only the source (src.txz), then
>  rm -rf /usr/src/*
>  then extract the new source?

If you want to go the source way, you can use csup from the base system.

> Otherwise I don't know what to cvsup to, and I did read the FreeBSD Handbook.  I also read /usr/src/README and UPDATING.
>
> I don't want to update source to HEAD which might now be 10.0-CURRENT.

I personally use subversion-freebsd (from ports) to update my sources
because I have local patches, and I switched to the
http://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/ branch. csup is simpler to use
for common tasks, see /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile.

Cheers