Re: x220 notes

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:01:10 -0700
On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Matt <sendtomatt_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is probably another driver bug. Try kldunloading and kldloading
>>> your wlan driver to see if that works, and/or start stripping your
>>> kernel of unnecessary options until you find the magic formula for
>>> what works, and just apply that to rc.suspend // rc.resume and file a
>>> PR for the driver bug if there isn't one already.
>>> HTH,
>>> -Garrett
>>>

>> Driver bug in wireless can leave the screen off?
>> I can for instance type reboot and reboot etc.
>>
>> I also noticed that acpi_video attaches, but nothing works. Looking at AML
>> it appears that the correct "hooks" are present, but lcd0 shows as inactive
>> and does not go to "1" in sysctl.
>>
>> ibm_acpi lcd_brightness hooks do not work either.
>>
>> debug.acpi.reset_video does VERY bad things, involving a reboot loop and
>> flashing thinklight
>>
>> Is there anything else I can do to turn the damn thing back on?
>> Any other logging or things to look at?
>>
>> I will try a minimal kernel shortly.
>
> A driver bug in general will bring up a blank screen because the
> system doesn't fully resume.
>
> Are you using amd64 or i386?

I re-built acpi_ibm and I now have the acpi_ibm sysctls, but most
don't seem to do
anything.
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%desc: IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%driver: acpi_ibm
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=LEN0068 _UID=0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%parent: acpi0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.initialmask: 2060
dev.acpi_ibm.0.availmask: 134217727
dev.acpi_ibm.0.events: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.eventmask: 2060
dev.acpi_ibm.0.hotkey: 2484
dev.acpi_ibm.0.lcd_brightness: <--Does not work
dev.acpi_ibm.0.volume: 0 <--Does not work
dev.acpi_ibm.0.mute: 0  <--works
dev.acpi_ibm.0.thinklight: 0 <--works
dev.acpi_ibm.0.bluetooth: 0 <--N/A
dev.acpi_ibm.0.wlan: 1 <--Works (Read-only)
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 2629 <--Works
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 0 <--Does not work
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: 1 <-- Don't know

Since the volume and brightness buttons don't work, I have to be careful
to leave them at max or I won't have full volume available and the LCD
will be dim.

I do see LCDBrightness referenced in the DSDT, but I see nothing on
either the fans
or volume.

I'm on a T520 running 9-Stable amd64.

Any idea of getting brightness and volume to work?

I also have the problem of no video after a resume. Other then that, it suspends
and resumes just fine. I need to confirm whether the display is really blank or
just needs the backlight turned on.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com