Re: x220 notes

From: Matt <sendtomatt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 00:53:55 -0700
On 09/28/11 16:01, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Garrett Cooper<yanegomi_at_gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Driver bug in wireless can leave the screen off?
>>> I can for instance type reboot and reboot etc.
>>>
>>> I also noticed that acpi_video attaches, but nothing works. Looking at AML
>>> it appears that the correct "hooks" are present, but lcd0 shows as inactive
>>> and does not go to "1" in sysctl.
>>>
>>> ibm_acpi lcd_brightness hooks do not work either.
>>>
>>> debug.acpi.reset_video does VERY bad things, involving a reboot loop and
>>> flashing thinklight
>>>
>>> Is there anything else I can do to turn the damn thing back on?
>>> Any other logging or things to look at?
>>>
>>> I will try a minimal kernel shortly.
>> A driver bug in general will bring up a blank screen because the
>> system doesn't fully resume.
>>
>> Are you using amd64 or i386?
> I re-built acpi_ibm and I now have the acpi_ibm sysctls, but most
> don't seem to do
> anything.
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%desc: IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%driver: acpi_ibm
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=LEN0068 _UID=0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%parent: acpi0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.initialmask: 2060
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.availmask: 134217727
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.events: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.eventmask: 2060
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.hotkey: 2484
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.lcd_brightness:<--Does not work
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.volume: 0<--Does not work
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.mute: 0<--works
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.thinklight: 0<--works
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.bluetooth: 0<--N/A
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.wlan: 1<--Works (Read-only)
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 2629<--Works
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 0<--Does not work
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: 1<-- Don't know
>
> Since the volume and brightness buttons don't work, I have to be careful
> to leave them at max or I won't have full volume available and the LCD
> will be dim.
>
> I do see LCDBrightness referenced in the DSDT, but I see nothing on
> either the fans
> or volume.
>
> I'm on a T520 running 9-Stable amd64.
>
> Any idea of getting brightness and volume to work?
>
> I also have the problem of no video after a resume. Other then that, it suspends
> and resumes just fine. I need to confirm whether the display is really blank or
> just needs the backlight turned on.
Kevin, sorry for my very late response...I've been battling too many
projects unfortunately.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this in another post, but I can confirm that
adjusting brightness in ibm_acpi for me results in corrupting the fan
speed, which makes me think that addresses have changed, widths/extents
have changed, or something else is different. For what it's worth,
thinkpad-acpi in Linux does this just fine, although I haven't
determined if it's through the EC or ACPI...I am thinking EC however.

Display is off I think. I think we need to call some routine to wake it
up...I dug into the acpi post routine, bios addresses for a moment
before being confused to hell about where to even look. I assume hw.acpi
reset resume is equally messed up on t520.

I have a feeling the answer to brightness (aside from KMS patch for X,
which is seperate) might be comparing changelogs for thinkpad ec
handlers on a platform that works like Linux...the code looks mostly
similar...can anyone confirm if Open/NetBSD have issues with the
backlight on these SandyBridge thinkpads?

Matt