Re: x220 notes

From: Hannes Mehnert <hannes_at_mehnert.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 15:29:17 -0500
Hi,

I recently got a X220 and installed -CURRENT (with kib's 13.1 patch) on
it - let me add some notes on this thread.

On 10/17/2011 03:53, Matt wrote:
> On 09/28/11 16:01, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Garrett Cooper<yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
>> wrote:

(there's a pr about that kern/164538)

> I'm not sure if I mentioned this in another post, but I can confirm that
> adjusting brightness in ibm_acpi for me results in corrupting the fan
> speed, which makes me think that addresses have changed, widths/extents
> have changed, or something else is different. For what it's worth,
> thinkpad-acpi in Linux does this just fine, although I haven't
> determined if it's through the EC or ACPI...I am thinking EC however.
>
> I have a feeling the answer to brightness (aside from KMS patch for X,
> which is seperate) might be comparing changelogs for thinkpad ec
> handlers on a platform that works like Linux...the code looks mostly
> similar...can anyone confirm if Open/NetBSD have issues with the
> backlight on these SandyBridge thinkpads?

The brightness work fine on Linux, but not on OpenBSD(-CURRENT).

But on OpenBSD xbacklight (which uses randr) works to set the brightness
once in X. This unfortunately does not work on FreeBSD (receiving "No
outputs have backlight property" when running xbacklight).

Cheers,

Hannes