Re: Using TMPFS for /tmp and /var/run?

From: grarpamp <grarpamp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 05:41:52 -0400
I commonly use mfs for /var and /tmp.
Sometimes even symlinking /var/tmp -> /tmp to save ram.
Mostly because I want nothing leftover in them on boot, and it's fast.
rc/mtree/etc takes care of populating them.

/, /boot, /usr and /usr/local are read-only.
 [nssswitch host.conf still needs fixed to deal with that]
User and daemon writeables are on other mountpoints.
Thus I don't have any persistent needs in mfs.
No swap either. And cron is wiped out too.

No real problems. There used to be some msgs emitted about rc
populating it or rc being misordered using it. Those seem fixed.

mfs is a lot more stable than it used to be. In fact, the crashes
were what held me back till recently. Seems now I can hammer on
it with dd, fsx and iozone and it won't die.

Performance is fine whether under disk UFS+soft_updates or mfs.

The options below are fine for creating either. I don't care about
defaults... so long as both disk and ram options exist, I'm happy.
All depends on how you use it. I like nice clean separation. Some
(strange) people put everything in /. Oh well.

I'd rather see the legacy /sys and /compat symlinks removed.

rc_debug=YES
rc_info=YES

syslogd_flags=-sC

root_rw_mount=NO