Re: There is a known problem with MIPS tinderbox.

From: Jayachandran C. <c.jayachandran_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 11:38:07 +0530
On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Stanislav Sedov <stas_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 12:39:00 -0700
> Juli Mallett <jmallett_at_FreeBSD.org> mentioned:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 12:28, Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>> > But as always, if someone comes up with an actual problem related to the
>> > [BIND] update I'm happy to address it.
>>
>> The MIPS tinderbox build is currently broken.  This is related to a
>> binutils bug for which a workaround was committed to head.  For some
>> reason, the workaround seems to be sufficient for universe done
>> independently, but not the tinderbox.
>>
>> There is a fix for binutils which is known, but the fix was made after
>> the GPLv3 switch.  HJ Lu, who made the change, has been contacted
>> about making the change available under GPLv2, but so far has not
>> replied.  Independently, jchandra_at_ is investigating the problem in
>> binutils and attempting to come up with a fix from scratch.
>>

> What I still cannot understand is that why my workaround doesn't work
> on tinderbox and for some people builds.  It should disable linking
> agains libasn1 for libkafs5 completely on mips which is the source of
> the problem in libkafs5.

The issue is that two fields in the libkafs5 dynamic symbol table is
un-initialized, whether the build crashes seem to depend on the value
in fields, if you are lucky the field does not have values that crash
the build.

[ I'm still looking at this, here's the progress so far]

The asn1 library has a export map containing 'global: *', this exports
two symbols _fdata and _ftext versioned.  When libkafs5 is linked,
these symbols confuse the bfd code and the entries corresponding to
theses (index 13, and 16) are left un-initialized.

One workaround I see is to change the export 'global: *' in
kerberos5/lib/libasn1 to the actual list of exported symbols.

JC.