Re: [RFT][patch] Scheduling for HTT and not only

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 22:13:42 +0300
On 04/10/12 21:46, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Alexander Motin<mav_at_freebsd.org>  wrote:

>>> Sure, numbers are always numbers, but the question is what are they
>>> showing? Understanding of the test results is even more important for
>>> purely synthetic tests like this. Especially when one test run gives 25
>>> seconds, while another gives 50. This test is not completely clear to me
>>> and that is what I've told.
>>
>> Small illustration to my point. Simple scheduler tuning affects thread
>> preemption policy and changes this test results in three times:
>>
>> mav_at_test:/test/hackbench# ./hackbench 30 process 1000
>> Running with 30*40 (== 1200) tasks.
>> Time: 9.568
>>
>> mav_at_test:/test/hackbench# sysctl kern.sched.interact=0
>> kern.sched.interact: 30 ->  0
>> mav_at_test:/test/hackbench# ./hackbench 30 process 1000
>> Running with 30*40 (== 1200) tasks.
>> Time: 5.163
>>
>> mav_at_test:/test/hackbench# sysctl kern.sched.interact=100
>> kern.sched.interact: 0 ->  100
>> mav_at_test:/test/hackbench# ./hackbench 30 process 1000
>> Running with 30*40 (== 1200) tasks.
>> Time: 3.190
>>
>> I think it affects balance between pipe latency and bandwidth, while test
>> measures only the last. It is clear that conclusion from these numbers
>> depends on what do we want to have.
>>
> I don't really care on this point, I'm only testing default values, or
> more precisely, whatever developers though default values would be
> good.
>
> Btw, you are testing 3 differents configuration. Different results are
> expected. What worries me more is the rather the huge instability on
> the *same* configuration, say on a pipe/thread/70 groups/600
> iterations run, where results range from 2.7s[0] to 7.4s, or a
> socket/thread/20 groups/1400 iterations run, where results range from
> 2.4s to 4.5s.

Due to reason I've pointed in my first message this test is _extremely_
sensitive to context switch interval. The more aggressive scheduler
switches threads, the smaller will be pipe latency, but the smaller will
be also bandwidth. During test run scheduler all the time recalculates
interactivity index for each thread, trying to balance between latency
and switching overhead. With hundreds of threads running simultaneously
and interfering with each other it is quite unpredictable process.

--
Alexander Motin