Re: Status on X220

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 20:17:55 -0700
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Erich Dollansky
<erichfreebsdlist_at_ovitrap.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the answer.
>
> More inside the e-mail.
>
> On Friday 20 April 2012 07:31:51 matt wrote:
>> On 04/19/12 17:01, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>> >
>> > there are so many different news about the X220 here that it is not so clear to me whether an install will result in a usable system.
>> >

>> That's what I've been using. I'm about ready to say goodbye to gentoo
>> permanently on mine, although it's a work machine so I'm taking my time.
>
> I want to use this machine for work.
>> *
>> *What works:
>> suspend/resume (must use Xorg KMS to have display on resume), needs
>> sysctl twiddling for PCI resume/suspend
>
> Suspend and resume is something I do not really use.
>
>> trackpad (could be better, no scrolling yet...psm doesn't seem to attach
>
> I never use them.
>
>> ethernet
>
> This is important.
>
>> intel wireless (no rt8192)
>
> I should get the Intel version.
>
>> graphics (via Konstantin's KMS work! thanks!)
>> speaker.ko!
>> Fan control works, but stops displaying fan speed sometimes (see hack
>> for acpi_ibm.c)
>
> Not so important if the speed is not displayed.
>
>> *What is unknown (to me):
>> Card reader
>
> I will have to find out.
>
>> Fingerprint for PAM (works if you already registered it in Windows for boot)
>
> Nice to have.
>
>> What doesn't work:
>> Standard consoles after X is started with KMS (this is true for all
>> intel KMS)
>
> This is the only thing I would like to have.
>
>> I'm probably forgetting some stuff that doens't work and some stuff that
>> does (especially if obvious)
>>
> I know, this is the most difficult part. As your e-mail reads, it is worth a try
>
> How did you do it with Windows? I plan to burn some DVDs and then remove everything.
>
> As I cannot simply go into a shop and pick it up, it might will take until Wednesday to report back how it went for me.

Minor note. Sound card seems to work OK through the speakers, but I
have failed to find the magic to make the headphone jack work. I have
not tried very hard, either. I keep procrastinating on the KMS stuff
as I will REALLY miss switching to vtys.

I made a quick attempt at the card reader, but had no luck finding a
driver that would work. Still, the system has worked for me for at
least 6 months, now.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com