Re: pkgng suggestion: renaming /usr/sbin/pkg to /usr/sbin/pkg-bootstrap

From: Glen Barber <gjb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 21:00:54 -0400
On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 01:47:26AM +0100, Jonathan Anderson wrote:
> On Saturday, 25 August 2012 at 01:33, Glen Barber wrote:
> > >

> > So, then they won't use it. I fail to see the problem here.
>
> I also fail to see the problem. :) Just to be clear, my post was
> arguing against Doug's assertion that few will use pkg's bootstrapper
> (and that this is a problem): I hope that pkgng and package sets
> will vastly increase the use of binary packages by FreeBSD consumers.

I was avoiding writing two separate emails about this thread - yes, I
did realize we had a similar point of view on this.  Sorry if it came
out differently.

> > /usr/sbin/pkg installs /usr/local/sbin/pkg without requiring the Ports
> > Collection to be available locally.
>
> Which is exactly the behaviour that I want: I view the ports tree
> as a last resort to be used only if binary packages fail to fulfil
> my needs. Sometimes I don't even bother fetching it. Once again,
> we may be in violent agreement here. :)

Understood.  I misinterpreted your last sentence.

What I would like to know, is why all the anti-progress emails[1] have
to wait until the Last Minute(tm) when information on pkgng availability
has been available for quite some time now.

Welcome to 2012.

[1] - Doing the same things we've done keeps us in the same place we've
been.

Glen