Re: FreeBSD as read-only firmware

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 14:43:54 -0700
[ replying to an old thread, sorry ]

On Nov 3, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Lev Serebryakov wrote:

> Hello, Alexander.
> You wrote 4 ноября 2012 г., 2:12:03:
>
> AY> Quick glance to nanobsd give me impression that:
> AY> 1) nanobsd is MBR based, so :
> AY> 2) nanobsd is disk-name-change sensitive.
>  Here are patches to support GPT

I'd love to see those... The mailing list must have eaten the original ones.

> AY> GPT way is better - I'm using r${REV} as label, and root can be mounted no
> AY> matter how many other "firmware's" present, or how disks are ordered.
>
> AY> BTW, due to bug 173309 I had to rebuild and update my server, which took
> AY> only few minutes for reboot.
>
> AY> Well, nanobsd is great thing, I'll look into it a bit more, but it's goal
> AY> to have minified FreeBSD, while I need read-only one.
>  No. Its goal is to have RO and ACID-upgradable system (with two code
>  slices for this).

Yes. NanoBSD's way isn't the best, and if there's better ways for it to do its thing, then I'm all for updating it to cope better.  I have a bit of a backlog of NanoBSD patches to get to, which is why this caught my eye, and since 9.1 will soon be a totally done deal, what better time to hack on NanoBSD and merge...

Warner