Re: FreeBSD as read-only firmware

From: Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 01:34:11 +0200
2012/12/4 Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>

> [ replying to an old thread, sorry ]
>
> On Nov 3, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
>
> > Hello, Alexander.
> > You wrote 4 ноября 2012 г., 2:12:03:
> >
> > AY> Quick glance to nanobsd give me impression that:
> > AY> 1) nanobsd is MBR based, so :
> > AY> 2) nanobsd is disk-name-change sensitive.
> >  Here are patches to support GPT
>
> I'd love to see those... The mailing list must have eaten the original
> ones.
>
> > AY> GPT way is better - I'm using r${REV} as label, and root can be
> mounted no
> > AY> matter how many other "firmware's" present, or how disks are ordered.
> >
> > AY> BTW, due to bug 173309 I had to rebuild and update my server, which
> took
> > AY> only few minutes for reboot.
> >
> > AY> Well, nanobsd is great thing, I'll look into it a bit more, but it's
> goal
> > AY> to have minified FreeBSD, while I need read-only one.
> >  No. Its goal is to have RO and ACID-upgradable system (with two code
> >  slices for this).
>
> Yes. NanoBSD's way isn't the best, and if there's better ways for it to do
> its thing, then I'm all for updating it to cope better.  I have a bit of a
> backlog of NanoBSD patches to get to, which is why this caught my eye, and
> since 9.1 will soon be a totally done deal, what better time to hack on
> NanoBSD and merge...

I'm using these simple scripts
https://github.com/yerenkow/freebsd-vm-image/tree/master/freebsd-firmware
to build RO-images both for VMs and for SD cards (GPT or MBR for buggy
BIOSes). I don't like idea of upgrading something (via some doubling
partitions, or else), at this stage; it's still potential room for problems.
Have one release image fully replaced by other release image - is what
seems fit for my goals and requirements; possibility of adding some
checksums would  be nice too.
Probably this could be implemented in nanoBSD too.