Re: 9.1-RC3 LiveCD missing features

From: Chuck Burns <break19_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 16:11:37 -0600
On 12/7/2012 3:50 PM, CeDeROM wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> I have tried to chceck for badblocks on my / but I did not find badblocks
> program on LiveCD and there is no option to install it. This is very useful
> utility, please add it as part of LiveCD :-)
>
> Also there is a problem with DHCP based workstations using LiveCD -
> although interface gets configured it is impossible to update
> /etc/resolv.conf (by dhclient and by hand) and so this workstation pretty
> useless for IPv4 (is it more usable on IPv6?). Please update :-)
>
> Thank you :-)
> Tomek
>
> --
> CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, http://www.tomek.cedro.info

dd if=/dev/zer of=/dev/ada0

^^^ There's your "badblocks" program.  Any hard drive made in the last
decade have been self-remapping..  Attempting to write to a bad block
will cause the hard drive to remap an unused sector into it's place,
until the drive runs out of said "unused" backup sectors, and at that
time, will begin simply begin just "losing" storage space... IE the
number of total sectors on the drive will begin to shrink.

--
Chuck Burns <break19_at_gmail.com>