Re: [RFC/RFT] calloutng

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 10:14:29 +0200
On 17.12.2012 05:38, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 16 December 2012 18:31, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Would you mind approaching some of the cluster peeps and seeing if
>>> they'll run this up on the ref10* boxes and VMs, just to get some
>>> further exposure?
>>
>> And maybe tinderbox..?
>
> Tinderbox is a great idea.
>
> Maybe hit up the altq/pf using crowd and see if they'll test this stuff out too?

It would be good to test, though I know that at least dummynet is
written awful from the point of this project with its
	callout_reset(&dn_timeout, 1, dummynet, NULL);
It should work, but kill most of power benefits. I was promised it will
be fixed after this project end.

> What else gets heavily callout /timer driven? Try some computational
> workloads that stress the fairness of ULE/4BSD, maybe?

Schedulers are driven directly by hardclock()/statclock(), so fairness
is not affected here. If CPU is not idle, it will receive full set of
required events with maximum available precision.

--
Alexander Motin