Re: clang compiled kernel panic when mounting zfs root on i386

From: Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 14:57:20 +0200
13.12.2012 12:25, Andriy Gapon:
> on 12/12/2012 21:35 Dimitry Andric said the following:
>> Especially the recursive spa_load and traverse_visitbp calls are scary,
>> because that can grow out of hand very quickly.  It is probably tricky
>> to remove the recursion...
>
> Re-entering spa_load once is normal and is expected.
> traverse_visitbp is also expected to recurse depending on data layout.
> So yeah, it's probably even trickier than teaching clang to allocate smaller stack
> frames ;-)

I hit this one again, but this time my world and kernel are compiled
with stock gcc. Pictures 3 to 5:

https://picasaweb.google.com/104021007361271711472/I386ZfsDoubleFault

This happens on mounting root after unclean shutdown. I fixed my pool
with booting amd64 kernel, after this i386 kernel starts fine.

Maybe it's just time to accept that ZFS on i386 is not stable? Current
handbook elaborates on ZFS like it's known to work on i386.

--
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.