Re: Enhancing the user experience with tcsh

From: Eitan Adler <lists_at_eitanadler.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 08:26:56 -0500
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Astrodog <astrodog_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I pay very little attention to the prompt. That being said...
> Plenty of people prefer widely different configurations for the prompt.
> I think everyone agrees that the default prompt isn't particularly
> informative, however, achieving consensus here is going to be almost
> impossible. I suggest that it be handled as a seperate discussion,
> perhaps?

That would result in even more of a bikeshed than this thread. I'm
pretty sure I'm going to go with one of the prompts posted to this
thread after a bit of experimentation.
Remember that the prompts are for inexperienced users and those of you
with awesome prompts are not the target audience for the change.

> I am against this change, barring a more compelling reason to include
> it. Default behavior limits $PATH to areas that are only writable as
> root, and there is no garuntee that $HOME can only be written by the
> user. As a result, the change may create unanticipated and unnoticed
> security consequences some installations. I believe this outweighs the
> functionality provided by the proposed change, given how trivial this
> is to configure after the fact.

 set path = (/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/games /usr/local/sbin
/usr/local/bin $HOME/bin)

is the default

--
Eitan Adler