Re: Enhancing the user experience with tcsh

From: Astrodog <astrodog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 07:34:22 -0600
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:26 AM, Eitan Adler <lists_at_eitanadler.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Astrodog <astrodog_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Personally, I pay very little attention to the prompt. That being said...
>> Plenty of people prefer widely different configurations for the prompt.
>> I think everyone agrees that the default prompt isn't particularly
>> informative, however, achieving consensus here is going to be almost
>> impossible. I suggest that it be handled as a seperate discussion,
>> perhaps?
>
> That would result in even more of a bikeshed than this thread. I'm
> pretty sure I'm going to go with one of the prompts posted to this
> thread after a bit of experimentation.
> Remember that the prompts are for inexperienced users and those of you
> with awesome prompts are not the target audience for the change.

I'm not actually against any of the prompts that have been suggested.
They're all fine with me. I use too many shared machines, or use
machines temporarly to expect anything at all from the prompt anyway.

>> I am against this change, barring a more compelling reason to include
>> it. Default behavior limits $PATH to areas that are only writable as
>> root, and there is no garuntee that $HOME can only be written by the
>> user. As a result, the change may create unanticipated and unnoticed
>> security consequences some installations. I believe this outweighs the
>> functionality provided by the proposed change, given how trivial this
>> is to configure after the fact.
>
>  set path = (/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/games /usr/local/sbin
> /usr/local/bin $HOME/bin)
>
> is the default

Whoops. I should have known a couple of years ago that adding a
handful of random patches to my build machine wasn't a great idea.