Effect of Processor and Memory on KDE4 execution speed

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:39:36 -0500
Dear All ,

Today I have encountered a case which I think informing you about it may be
useful .

In my previous messages , I have mentioned very slowness of KDE4 .

Onto another computer I have installed DruidBSD 9.0 b56 amd64 , and KDE4 .
In that installation KDE4 worked surprisingly fast .

To understand whether difference is among FreeBSD or DruidBSD , I have
installed
FreeBSD 9.0 Release amd64 and KDE4 on the same computer instead of DruidBSD
.

The KDE4 has worked flawlesly i.e. , means very fast .

To make equivalent the installations on both computers , I have installed
FreeBSD 9.0 Release amd64 and KDE4 on the slow computer exactly as in fast
computer .

Starting times after first boot ( to eliminate initialization effects ) are
the following
( All timings are from "root" ) :

>From "startx" ( which contains "exec ... kde4 ..." )
to   appearance of KDE menu symbol at the bottom left corner :

Fast computer : 8 GB : 0+ ( < 1 ) minute ( 4 x 2 GB )
Slow computer : 4 GB : 2+ ( < 3 ) minutes ( 2 x 2 GB ) ( 2 x ! GB chips
removed ) ,
                6 GB : 8+ ( < 9 ) minutes ( 2 x ( 2 , 1 ) GB ) .
                ( Memory chip installation conforms to main board manual . )
                ( The clock does not have second counter . )

Fast Computer
  CPU : Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 _at_ 2.40 GHz ( 2397.65-MHz K-8class CPU )
  ACPI APIC Table : < INTEL DG965WH >

Slow Computer
  CPU : Intel Core 2 QUAD CPU Q6600 _at_ 2.40 GHz ( 2397.65-MHz K-8class CPU )
  ACPI APIC Table : < INTEL DG965WH >

( The main boards are the same ) .
( All of the memory chips are the same : Kingston HyperX 800 MHz )

I could not understand the reason(s) of the differences .

Boot DMESG outputs are attached .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk