Re: Effect of Processor and Memory on KDE4 execution speed

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer_at_omnilan.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:47:02 +0100
 schrieb Mehmet Erol Sanliturk am 14.02.2012 15:39 (localtime):
> Dear All ,
>
> Today I have encountered a case which I think informing you about it may be
> useful .
>
> In my previous messages , I have mentioned very slowness of KDE4 .
>

> Onto another computer I have installed DruidBSD 9.0 b56 amd64 , and KDE4 .
> In that installation KDE4 worked surprisingly fast .
>
> To understand whether difference is among FreeBSD or DruidBSD , I have
> installed
> FreeBSD 9.0 Release amd64 and KDE4 on the same computer instead of DruidBSD
> .
>
> The KDE4 has worked flawlesly i.e. , means very fast .
>
> To make equivalent the installations on both computers , I have installed
> FreeBSD 9.0 Release amd64 and KDE4 on the slow computer exactly as in fast
> computer .
>

> Starting times after first boot ( to eliminate initialization effects ) are
> the following
> ( All timings are from "root" ) :
>

> >From "startx" ( which contains "exec ... kde4 ..." )
> to   appearance of KDE menu symbol at the bottom left corner :
>

> Fast computer : 8 GB : 0+ ( < 1 ) minute ( 4 x 2 GB )
> Slow computer : 4 GB : 2+ ( < 3 ) minutes ( 2 x 2 GB ) ( 2 x ! GB chips
> removed ) ,
>                 6 GB : 8+ ( < 9 ) minutes ( 2 x ( 2 , 1 ) GB ) .
>                 ( Memory chip installation conforms to main board manual . )
>                 ( The clock does not have second counter . )
>
> Fast Computer
>   CPU : Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 _at_ 2.40 GHz ( 2397.65-MHz K-8class CPU )
>   ACPI APIC Table : < INTEL DG965WH >
>
> Slow Computer
>   CPU : Intel Core 2 QUAD CPU Q6600 _at_ 2.40 GHz ( 2397.65-MHz K-8class CPU )
>   ACPI APIC Table : < INTEL DG965WH >
>
> ( The main boards are the same ) .
> ( All of the memory chips are the same : Kingston HyperX 800 MHz )
>

> I could not understand the reason(s) of the differences .
>

> Boot DMESG outputs are attached .

Compare 'sysctl kern.timecounter'.
That's the only difference I could see. Also, I'd try to disable two
cores in the bios of the quad-core machine and see if it changes
anything. Just to rule out scheduler issues.

Have you tried memtest86 to see if RAM throughput and CPU-cache rates
are comparable?

-Harry