Re: Fwd: Effect of Processor and Memory on KDE4 execution speed

From: Devin Teske <devin.teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:07:01 -0800
On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 14:42 -0800, Robison, Dave wrote:

> [...]

Great! Glad to hear it's fast!

Though, a couple corrections about the statement above.

First correction:

You meand "FreeBSD Druid", not "DruidBSD".

The "FreeBSD Druid" is a FreeBSD installer.
The "DruidBSD" is a micro distribution that can't/doesn't install
anything.

Second correction:

The "FreeBSD Druid" installs a vanilla, completely unmodified
RELENG_9_0_RELEASE copy of FreeBSD (albeit using sysinstall(8) instead
of bsdinstall(8)).

> To understand whether difference is among FreeBSD or DruidBSD , I have
> installed
> FreeBSD 9.0 Release amd64 and KDE4 on the same computer instead of DruidBSD
> .
>
> The KDE4 has worked flawlesly i.e. , means very fast .

Cool. Glad to hear it's fast there too (makes sense; see below)

With respect to the binaries that are being laid-down by the FreeBSD
Druid, there is no difference in comparison to the official installer.

However, the FreeBSD Druid does do some post-install configuration of
the system that the official installer does not (though none of these
customizations should have any effect on KDE in any way shape-or-form):

1. It enables sshd root login in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
2. It enables netwait in /etc/rc.conf (by adding netwait_enable="YES")
3. It installs perl-5.14 (as a package so if you don't want it, you can
pkg_delete it to get rid of it)
4. It sets the root password
5. It installs /usr/local/sbin/host-setup
6. It configures root login-shell to be /usr/local/sbin/host-setup for
easy setup on first-login (once exited, must be run manually henceforth)
7. It installs rsync (as a package, so if you don't want it you can
pkg_delete it)
8. It installs bonnie (as a package; don't want -- pkg_delete)
9. Enables SU+J on /tmp /var and /usr

None of these customizations should have any effect on system
performance whatsoever.

So I recommend not treating this as a "FreeBSD Druid" versus "FreeBSD"
problem.

NOTE: and again, "DruidBSD" is not an installable OS, only a micro Live
Distribution used for doing rescues or simply booting into a mfs
environment.

> To make equivalent the installations on both computers , I have installed
> FreeBSD 9.0 Release amd64 and KDE4 on the slow computer exactly as in fast
> computer .

I'm confused.

In the immediately-above paragraph you mention a fast computer and a
slow computer. But in the paragraphs that proceeded it, I only see
mention of fast-running KDE4.

If you read the previous paragraphs carefully, you're stating that both
installers ("FreeBSD Druid" and the official, both) produced fast-
running installations of KDE4.

Which is it?

> Starting times after first boot ( to eliminate initialization effects ) are
> the following
> ( All timings are from "root" ) :

Is this on the box that was installed with FreeBSD Druid or box
installed with official 9.0-RELEASE media?

> >From "startx" ( which contains "exec ... kde4 ..." )
> to   appearance of KDE menu symbol at the bottom left corner :
>

> Fast computer : 8 GB : 0+ ( < 1 ) minute ( 4 x 2 GB )
> Slow computer : 4 GB : 2+ ( < 3 ) minutes ( 2 x 2 GB ) ( 2 x ! GB chips
> removed ) ,
>                 6 GB : 8+ ( < 9 ) minutes ( 2 x ( 2 , 1 ) GB ) .
>                 ( Memory chip installation conforms to main board manual . )
>                 ( The clock does not have second counter . )
>
> Fast Computer
>   CPU : Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 _at_ 2.40 GHz ( 2397.65-MHz K-8class CPU )
>   ACPI APIC Table : < INTEL DG965WH >
>
> Slow Computer
>   CPU : Intel Core 2 QUAD CPU Q6600 _at_ 2.40 GHz ( 2397.65-MHz K-8class CPU )
>   ACPI APIC Table : < INTEL DG965WH >
>
> ( The main boards are the same ) .
> ( All of the memory chips are the same : Kingston HyperX 800 MHz )

In your metrics above, which machine (fast vs slow) was installed with
which installer?

> I could not understand the reason(s) of the differences .

Disk partitions? (I'm guessing).

There's really no difference between what the official 9.0-RELEASE
installer installs and what the FreeBSD Druid installs. They were both
compiled from RELENG_9_0_RELEASE within a day from each other. The
likelihood that the binaries would differ with respect to code they were
compiled from is highly unlikely.

NOTE: The installed kernel should even have the same MD5 (can't say the
same for the rest of the system, because I did have to do a fresh
release(7) process -- though differing MD5s will not matter, the code
was built within 24 hours from the official release build).
--
Devin