Re: Fwd: Effect of Processor and Memory on KDE4 execution speed

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:29:03 -0500
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Devin Teske <devin.teske_at_fisglobal.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 14:42 -0800, Robison, Dave wrote:

"Fast computer" means "FreeBSD executed KDE4 fast"  ( having Intel
processor E2220 ) ,
"Slow computers" means "FreeBSD executed KDE4 slow"  ( having Intel
processor Q6600 ) ,

The problem is not generated by disk layouts , because sysinstall and
bsdinstall
are NOT factors on the problem : Only physical placement of memory chips in
the slots :

Rearranging memory chips in the slots  or using a different chip set with
the same ( brand , model , speed ) is causing the problem or it is curing
the problem .

> > Starting times after first boot ( to eliminate initialization effects )
> are
> > the following
> > ( All timings are from "root" ) :
> >

> Is this on the box that was installed with FreeBSD Druid or box
> installed with official 9.0-RELEASE media?
>

> > >From "startx" ( which contains "exec ... kde4 ..." )
> > to   appearance of KDE menu symbol at the bottom left corner :
> >

> > Fast computer : 8 GB : 0+ ( < 1 ) minute ( 4 x 2 GB )
> > Slow computer : 4 GB : 2+ ( < 3 ) minutes ( 2 x 2 GB ) ( 2 x ! GB chips
> > removed ) ,
> >                 6 GB : 8+ ( < 9 ) minutes ( 2 x ( 2 , 1 ) GB ) .
> >                 ( Memory chip installation conforms to main board manual
> . )
> >                 ( The clock does not have second counter . )
> >
> > Fast Computer
> >   CPU : Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 _at_ 2.40 GHz ( 2397.65-MHz K-8class
> CPU )
> >   ACPI APIC Table : < INTEL DG965WH >
> >
> > Slow Computer
> >   CPU : Intel Core 2 QUAD CPU Q6600 _at_ 2.40 GHz ( 2397.65-MHz K-8class
> CPU )
> >   ACPI APIC Table : < INTEL DG965WH >
> >
> > ( The main boards are the same ) .
> > ( All of the memory chips are the same : Kingston HyperX 800 MHz )
> >

> In your metrics above, which machine (fast vs slow) was installed with
> which installer?
>

> > I could not understand the reason(s) of the differences .
> >

> Disk partitions? (I'm guessing).

As I explained above , disk layouts do not have any effect .

> There's really no difference between what the official 9.0-RELEASE
> installer installs and what the FreeBSD Druid installs. They were both
> compiled from RELENG_9_0_RELEASE within a day from each other. The
> likelihood that the binaries would differ with respect to code they were
> compiled from is highly unlikely.
>
> NOTE: The installed kernel should even have the same MD5 (can't say the
> same for the rest of the system, because I did have to do a fresh
> release(7) process -- though differing MD5s will not matter, the code
> was built within 24 hours from the official release build).
> --
> Devin
>
> _____________
> The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the
> message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message
> in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please
> be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving
> and review by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.

Up to now I did not recognize the effect of memory chips , I have used the
same computer for all
of my FreeBSD installations .

When I have installed FreeBSD Druid into another computer , I have reached
to the conclusion of
memory chip placement effect .

I am NOT an electronics engineer but there is a concept "Impedance
mismatch" :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching
( I could not find a proper explanation of "Impedance mismatch" , but it is
  opposite of "Impedance matching" . When impedance mismatches a part of a
circuit can not
 trigger other part of the circuit . ) .

Perhaps such an effect is causing different detection of some value and
this is triggering
setting a variable for memory management to a very negatively effective
value .

This is only a pure guess without any proper knowledge .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk