Re: Use of C99 extra long double math functions after r236148

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 08:08:37 -0600
On Jul 10, 2012, at 7:45 AM, Steve Kargl wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:10:05AM +0200, Rainer Hurling wrote:
>>
>> Do you think your version from
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=152415 for expl() ld80
>> version could be the one getting into head? Would you be willing to
>> commit it?
>
> That's a fairly early version of the ld80 expl().
> bde and das reviewed the code and made several
> suggested changes.

Cool.  Send them to me and I'll move them into the tree.

>> As far as I understand from discussions on R mailing list
>> (r-devel_at_r-project.org), they plan to reduce the emulation and/or
>> workaround of long and complex math functions for FreeBSD and other
>> systems with their next releases of R devel. So we could really need
>> some progress with our C99 conform math functions ;-)
>
> I don't know R, and I don't understand what is meant
> by 'they plan to reduce the emulation and/or workaround
> of ... funtions'.

R is a totally awesome statistical and graphics packaging.  It means they are dropping support for freeBSD because we don't have these functions.  That totally sucks, and to prevent that, I'd be willing to commit the #define nonsense.  Unless somebody has something better they could forward me for integration...

Warner