Re: [IMPORT] bsdconfig(8)

From: Devin Teske <devin.teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 16:04:13 -0700
On Jul 14, 2012, at 3:32 PM, Bruce Cran wrote:

> On 14/07/2012 22:58, Devin Teske wrote:
>> Did I? When one starts discussing 'Express Install', we're clearly in the realm of bsdinstall, not bsdconfig.
>>
>> Like you stated, in that case bsdinstall would not use bsdconfig.
>
> I'm getting really confused here. Either "bsdconfig password" gets run before the post-install configuration menu is shown and therefore the text saying to set the root password in the welcome screen is unnecessary, or it doesn't get run and it's possible to quit bsdconfig without setting the root password.

Ok, it's more clear to me that the concern is with the welcome screen.

1. The welcome screen _text_ was ripped straight from sysinstall except with one difference… s/Pascal/Firefox/ (updating it for the current generations).

2. Currently this text is shoved in your face but it won't always be. The text will be moved to a "Help" screen.

So, in a way you're absolutely right… you've highlighted a conundrum (the welcome screen contains text which is not suitable for a welcome screen) because bsdinstall did something differently than sysinstall in this one case  (reasons below; solution above -- get rid of the welcome screen).

The reason why we (Ron and I) chose to not implement the help-text in the same way that sysinstall does (go to the "Configure" top-level menu and then press F1) is that bsdconfig strives to be compatible with both dialog(1) and [purported drop-in replacement] Xdialog(1) -- and the latter doesn't support hooking into F1.

However, it's agreed that the welcome screen is not the right way to re-implement the configure.help file from sysinstall (actually rescuing _all_ of the *.help files from the clutches of the Attic -- further internationalizing them in the process too).

The envisioned construct right now is to add a third button labeled "Help". This can be done in both dialog(1) and Xdialog(1) (see "bsdconfig startup_rcconf" and the "Details" button -- except instead of dangling a menu off of it, it will produce a box with the desired help-text.

Of course, making this scalable and usable is a challenge so we haven't yet migrated away from the welcome screen before the import to HEAD.

It will be dealt with before MFC and also before WITH_BSDCONFIG becomes WITHOUT_BSDCONFIG.
--
Devin