Re: [CFC/CFT] large changes in the loader(8) code

From: Marius Strobl <marius_at_alchemy.franken.de>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:40:32 +0200
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 04:00:49PM +0400, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> On 16.07.2012 15:31, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> >> Yes. It should work as before.
> >
> > Well, but it's obvious that zfs_probe_dev would be attempting to do some unneeded
> > stuff (trying to treat partitions as disks) for that case.  To me this is a clear
> > indication zfs_probe_dev is not optimal for arch-independent implementation.  So I
> > still think that arch_zfs_probe should decide what disks and partitions to probe,
> > and zfs_probe_dev should only probe what it's given and not try to be any smarter.
> > But I've repeated myself three times already :-)
>
> And we will have the same - several copies of the same code in each architecture,
> which i have deleted...
>
> Sparc doesn't support DIOCGMEDIASIZE and DIOCGSECTORSIZE ioctls,
> so it will not check each partition, only fd that is passed to the zfs_probe_dev.
>
> Currently there is only one problem with ZFS tasting, that can affect users -
> now we taste each disk and partition, but in the my branch ZFS tastes only disks and
> partitions with type "freebsd" and "freebsd-zfs". So if you have created ZFS on top
> of MBR partition with type "ntfs", then loader will be unable to detect it.

Sorry, I'm missing the big picture of ZFS support in the loader and
currently unfortunately don't have the time to look into it or your
patches. I don't think there's a way to determine the media and
sector sizes without actually looking at the Sun and/or VTOC8 labels
though. As for zfs_probe_dev, some user recently indicated that
on sparc64 we should rather look at the disk devices listed in
the "boot-device" environment variable in order to mimic what Solaris
does rather than trying to probe anything that might be a disk device,
mimicking what the FreeBSD/i386 ZFS loader does. Maybe that's a hint
whether a arch_zfs_probe should exist.
I can test patches once you guys have figures out how things should
work though.

Marius