Re: MPSAFE VFS -- List of upcoming actions

From: Attilio Rao <attilio_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:45:44 +0100
2012/7/18, Gustau PĂ©rez i Querol <gperez_at_entel.upc.edu>:

>     Sorry fo the delay.
>
>     About the ntfs support, I'd go with fuse and leave the most relevant
> filesystems in kernel space. In fact filesystems not particulary
> specific and not tied our kernel would go to userspace; thinks like
> smbfs, nwfs, ntfs, ext2 o ext4 for example should be in userspace (the
> list is incomplete and I don't really know if all of them are yet
> implemenent in userspace) in my opinion. That would make them easier to
> maintain (changes in the kernel would only affect fuse, once fixed all
> the userspace filesystem would work again).
>
>     As a bonus, we would get many working fs based on fuse. In the
> server side gluster is a desirable thing; in the desktop things like
> gvfs (in the linux world gvfs is used not only by gnome but also by kde
> or xfce) or truecrypt

I'm really concerned also about ntfs and smbfs at the moment. It seems
that there is also a FUSE smbfs port, but I never used it and I'm not
sure about its state at all.

>> I'm fixing low hanging fruit for the moment (see r238411 for example)
>> and I still have to make a throughful review.
>> However my idea is to commit the support once:
>> - ntfs-3g is well stress-tested and proves to be bug-free
>> - there is no major/big technical issue pending after the reviews
>>
>> I'm now looking for people sticking with the branch and trying to
>> stress-test ntfs-3g as much as they can. For example I know that
>> Gustau (cc'ed) already had issues. It would be good if he tries to
>> reproduce them and make a full report.
>
>     I've seen ntfs-3g+fuse crashing a few times and IIRC most of the
> time the problem happened while unmounting the filesystem.

The FUSE module you had testing still has several bugs.
You can try this patch:
http://people.freebsd.org/~attilio/fuse_AW_DONE_ISDOTDOT_collision.patch

on top of the FUSE branch I'm working on:
svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/fuse/

however it still doesn't address the cloning races (I'm rewriting it
in order to take advantage of devfs_*_devpriv() interface right now).

Thanks,
Attilio