Change default for periodic/weekly/400.status-pkg ?

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:32:30 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

Currently, the periodic/weekly/400.status-pkg script uses
the ports' INDEX file if it exists.  On my machines, the
INDEX file exists, and the periodic script produces output
like this:

    $ /etc/periodic/weekly/400.status-pkg

    Check for out of date packages:
    $

That is, apparently everything is up to date, so I don't
have to do anything.  But this is wrong.  When I change it
to use /nonexistent in place of the INDEX file, I get this
output:

    $ /etc/periodic/weekly/400.status-pkg

    Check for out of date packages:
      netpbm-manpages-10.35.85 was orphaned: LOCAL/netpbm-manpages
      pkg-config-0.25_1 was orphaned: devel/pkg-config
    $

A-ha!  The first line is to be expected (netpbm-manpages
is a "fake" port that I maintain locally), but the second
line about pkg-config is much more important.  Now this
makes me look at ports/UPDATING, revealing that pkg-config
was replaced by pkgconf.

Therefore I propose to change the default for the periodic
script to use /nonexistent.  It does not change the output
that usually appears, it only produces _additional_ output
for installed packages whose origin disappeared.  This is
valuable information, I think.  Also, the INDEX file could
be outdated, which might lead to wrong results, so using
the INDEX file by default is probably not a good idea anyway.

Last but not least:  Contrary to what the pkg_version(1)
manpage suggests, the periodic script actually finishes
slightly faster when no INDEX file is used.

There doesn't seem to be any reason why the real INDEX file
should be used.

What do you think?

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  Specifying /nonexistent is different from /dev/null.
The latter makes pkg_version assume that it is an empty
INDEX file, causing different behaviour (not useful) than
a non-existing file.

"C++ is the only current language making COBOL look good."
        -- Bertrand Meyer