Re: Change default for periodic/weekly/400.status-pkg ?

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:49:56 -0700
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:

> Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>  > I think it should be user configurable in /etc/periodic.conf if
>  > somebody want to use INDEX or not.
>
> It already is user configurable.  My point is to change the
> default, because the current default is useless.
>
> It should also be noted that change is "safe", because the
> output of the weekly cron script does not change at all if
> everything is alright.  Only if some ports lost their origin,
> this fact is noted in the output.

A couple of thoughts on this. First one is "most likely". If you use
you INDEX, was it fetched or built after updating your ports? If it
was fetched, it is going to be just a little old, so it might miss
something that was just updated. I do this daily, not weekly, and I
often see a port or two that has been updated be missed by the check,
but it shows up the next day. (I am NOT using a public mirror.)

Second, there has been a recent issue with pkgconfig which might, but
probably is not causing this odd behavior. It has most certainly been
annoying me in other ways, though I believe it may have been fixed in
the past 24 hours. (This might indicate the timing issue I mentioned
above.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com