[CFT] sysutils/bsdconfig: Replacement for sysinstall(8) post-install configuration abilities

From: Devin Teske <devin.teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:40:31 -0700
Hi Folks,

This is a call for testing of the new sysutils/bsdconfig port.

Back in February, Ron McDowell and myself together decided we were going to take-on the task of salvaging sysinstall(8)'s "Configure" menu while simultaneously rewriting it into a system of shell scripts (making it similar to bsdinstall) so that sysinstall(8) could be safely and quietly "put to pasture" (meanwhile contradictorily _increasing_ functionality due to several enhancements performed in the process).

After talking with a lot of other developers and really helpful folks, we decided to shoot for the 9.1-R freeze to coincide with other new features like pkgng. Currently, bsdconfig cannot do what sysinstall is known most for (package installation), but that is because we have a plan to _start_ with pkgng (and it just works better if pkgng can mature before the integration).

If the thought of losing sysinstall has ever made you uneasy because unique functionality not found elsewhere, please try the sysutils/bsdconfig port to help get it some testing.

With ~25,000 lines of code, we really need to get some testing on this before adding this to HEAD and I've turned the source into a port to make the testing process easier and to widen the audience.

If you have the time and/or energy, please test and report any issues that you experience.

If things go well, we can get this MFC'd from HEAD before the 9.1 freeze.
--
Devin