Re: [CFC/CFT] large changes in the loader(8) code

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:45:35 -0700
On Jun 26, 2012, at 2:43 PM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> As for sharing disk with other OS. If you share the disk with OS that
> doesn't support gmirror, you shouldn't use gmirror in the first place.
> You probably want to use only formats that are recognized by all your
> OSes.

This statement is ridicuous by virtue of not being in touch with
reality and by making gmirror useless for such wide range of cases
that one can question why we have it at all.

Put differently: a mirroring class is a fairly basic and useful thing
to have. Limiting it's use is nothing but artificial and follows from
having to use the underlying provider to store metadata. This then
changes the view of the underlying providing to consumers above gmirror
in a way that makes the presence or absence of gmirror visible.
Solving the visibility problem makes gmirror useful all the time.
I see that as a better way of looking at it than simply blurting out
that you shouldn't use gmirror when certain awkward and artifical
conditions apply.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcel_at_xcllnt.net