Migrating from FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE/amd to 10.0-CURRENT/amd64?

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 17:09:14 +0100
Hello.

Well, I run on a brand new "luxury" box the newest Intel CPU
Sandy-Brideg-E in its incarnation of the Core i7-X3930K on a decent ASUS
workstation motherboard. The box is running FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE/amd64 at
the moment.
I discovered some "problems" with the SATA/AHCI interface. Since the
peripherial hardware didn't change, except mainboard and CPU (and a lot
of more memory), I guess FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE does have some issues with
the new hardware. So I'd like to use FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64, which I
use successfully on an oldish two core Core2Duo box.

VirtualBox, for instance, on the FBSD 9.0 box with the new hardware,
stops working from time to time, the Windows-7 is getting stuck. The
implication, that FreeBSD 9 can not handle the new hardware is wrong at
that point, since even the VBox could have it's issues with the new 6
core Sandy Bridge-E, but the issues with the SATA 6GB subsystems are
"real". Sometimes the system gets stuck.

Well, I tried to switch by doing a "svn switch" in /usr/src, building a
kernel, restarting the kernel in single user mode and then trying to
build the world. At some point in /usr/src/share (I forgot were exactly,
it was somewhere with lots of locale stuff), the buildworld process
fails so I couldn't build a world.

It wouldn't be bad if the "switch" isn't possible at the moment by
simply switching the sources, but I'm still inclined to give the new
hardware the propper new OS - hoping, that new driver will pay tribute
to new hardware ...

Thanks for your comments in advance,
Oliver