Re: Migrating from FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE/amd to 10.0-CURRENT/amd64?

From: Olli Hauer <ohauer_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 19:03:44 +0100
On 2012-03-06 17:09, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Well, I run on a brand new "luxury" box the newest Intel CPU
> Sandy-Brideg-E in its incarnation of the Core i7-X3930K on a decent ASUS
> workstation motherboard. The box is running FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE/amd64 at
> the moment.
> I discovered some "problems" with the SATA/AHCI interface. Since the
> peripherial hardware didn't change, except mainboard and CPU (and a lot
> of more memory), I guess FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE does have some issues with
> the new hardware. So I'd like to use FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64, which I
> use successfully on an oldish two core Core2Duo box.
>
> VirtualBox, for instance, on the FBSD 9.0 box with the new hardware,
> stops working from time to time, the Windows-7 is getting stuck. The
> implication, that FreeBSD 9 can not handle the new hardware is wrong at
> that point, since even the VBox could have it's issues with the new 6
> core Sandy Bridge-E, but the issues with the SATA 6GB subsystems are
> "real". Sometimes the system gets stuck.
>
> Well, I tried to switch by doing a "svn switch" in /usr/src, building a
> kernel, restarting the kernel in single user mode and then trying to
> build the world. At some point in /usr/src/share (I forgot were exactly,
> it was somewhere with lots of locale stuff), the buildworld process
> fails so I couldn't build a world.
>
> It wouldn't be bad if the "switch" isn't possible at the moment by
> simply switching the sources, but I'm still inclined to give the new
> hardware the propper new OS - hoping, that new driver will pay tribute
> to new hardware ...
>

> Thanks for your comments in advance,
> Oliver

Maybe you can reach your update goal faster...

>From your mails to current I know you already have a box running FBSD 10.

My way to upgrade machines is to share / rsync /usr/src from a central
machine to all others, same for /usr/obj if the architectur match.
Do not forget to sync also make.conf/src.conf and runing mergemaster.

If the machine is alive after the fast upgrade you can experiment
with different src.conf / kernel settings.