Re: x220 notes

From: matt <sendtomatt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:38:24 -0700
On 03/13/12 17:43, matt wrote:
> On 03/12/12 17:00, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>>> This is great news!
>>>
>>> I just finished some other stuff, so hopefully I can take a renewed
>>> look at
>>> brightness and the fan issue.
>> Thanks for woking on this, Matt. I, for one, would be happy to have
>> the volume and de-lighted to have brightness working on my T520!
>> (Sorry or the weak pun.)
> So far it looks like acpi_video attaches, but the lcd0 device is not
> active.
>
> More interestingly, if you press brightness shortcuts, acpi_video can
> see the brightness value change while screen does not actually change.
>
> My conclusion based on bullshit and poking around in the acpidump, is
> that possibly either:
> 1) We need to call some ACPI handle to put ACPI in charge of
> brightness (google acpi brightness trapdoor)
> 2) acpi_video is attaching to the nvidia optimus hooks (yes, they're
> there, I know we don't have that option) and is missing the IGD video
> (VIGD/PEG etc)
> 3) Something else is wrong with either acpi, acpi_video, or bios that
> is preventing ACPI from working?
>
> I am going to take more of a look tonight.
>
> I think I can just hack in some ACPI calls straight to the ec if that
> will work, which might also include the correct ones to resume the
> display without KMS?
> Calling some _ON function or something perhaps
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matt
I have brightness control through raw acpi..."\_BCL" and friends seem to
do nothing.

Most of the video methods differentiate between \VIGD (which seems to be
a check for integrated graphics vs optimus, but that's still a guess)
If \VIGD is true, brightness commands are sent to the EC, where they
don't seem to do much yet. This is probably where we could enable
something via EC/ibm-acpi?
If \VIGD is false, brightness commands are handled in ACPI, although
coarsely, via \VBRC.

\VBRC seems to allow control over the backlight, at least, so those of
you with sore eyes or the 3-cell battery may have some success using the
acpi_call port (Danger!)
kldload acpi_call
acpi_call -p '\VBRC' -i n (where n is 0-10)

Still hacking :)!

Matt