Re: x220 notes

From: matt <sendtomatt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:43:45 -0700
On 03/12/12 17:00, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM, matt<sendtomatt_at_gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 03/08/12 01:28, Ganael LAPLANCHE wrote:
>>> On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 20:29:16 +0200, Vrachnis Ilias-Dimitrios wrote
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Yep, the webcam works with webcamd but the quality is not great...

>>> I run 10-CURRENT :
>>>
>>> FreeBSD laptop.martymac.org 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #12
>>> r231062M: Mon Feb  6 10:29:35 CET 2012
>>> martymac_at_laptop.martymac.org:/usr/obj/files/Src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>>>
>>> with all.13.1 patch (no more available) from :
>>>
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/drm/
>>>
>>> 3D acceleration works well, as well as suspend/resume when Xorg has been
>>> started (black screen if on console).
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ganael LAPLANCHE<ganael.laplanche_at_martymac.org>
>>> http://www.martymac.org | http://contribs.martymac.org
>>> FreeBSD: martymac<martymac_at_FreeBSD.org>, http://www.FreeBSD.org
>>>
>> This is great news!
>>
>> I just finished some other stuff, so hopefully I can take a renewed look at
>> brightness and the fan issue.
> Thanks for woking on this, Matt. I, for one, would be happy to have
> the volume and de-lighted to have brightness working on my T520!
> (Sorry or the weak pun.)
So far it looks like acpi_video attaches, but the lcd0 device is not active.

More interestingly, if you press brightness shortcuts, acpi_video can
see the brightness value change while screen does not actually change.

My conclusion based on bullshit and poking around in the acpidump, is
that possibly either:
1) We need to call some ACPI handle to put ACPI in charge of brightness
(google acpi brightness trapdoor)
2) acpi_video is attaching to the nvidia optimus hooks (yes, they're
there, I know we don't have that option) and is missing the IGD video
(VIGD/PEG etc)
3) Something else is wrong with either acpi, acpi_video, or bios that is
preventing ACPI from working?

I am going to take more of a look tonight.

I think I can just hack in some ACPI calls straight to the ec if that
will work, which might also include the correct ones to resume the
display without KMS?
Calling some _ON function or something perhaps

Thanks!

Matt