Re: LSI supported mps(4) driver available

From: Kenneth D. Merry <ken_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:21:29 -0600
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 23:50:31 +1030, Matt Thyer wrote:
> On 26 March 2012 23:55, Gary Palmer <gpalmer_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> > > irq
> >

> [snip]
>

> > > After encountering this problem I updated my firmware from phase 7 to
> > phase
> > > 11 but this did not fix things.
> > >
> > > My question is: "Is the LSI driver even in 8-STABLE yet?".
> > >
> > > If not I'll upgrade to 9-STABLE to get the new driver.
> > >
> > > If it is, then I want to downgrade to just before it came in to see if
> > this
> > > high interrupt rate problem is fixed.
> >
> > I'm no export in svn, however:
> >
> > http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&amp;revision=230922
> >
> > would appear to suggest that the new driver is in 8-Stable
> >
> > Gary
> >

> It's painful to take this system back to r230921 due to intolerance for
> downtime from it's users so I'd like to investigate the cause of the
> problem and try patches/sysctls/whatever first.
>
> The drives I'm using are 7 x WDC WD20EARS-00M (3 are AB50, 4 are AB51) and
> 1 x WD20EARX-00P AB51.
> The WD20EARX-00P AB51 is a SATA 3 (6 Gbps) drive but the others are all
> SATA 2 (3 Gbps).
>
> I know the driver doesn't like mixed speeds in IR mode but I'm flashed with
> IT firmware as ZFS is doing my RAID (raidz2).
>
> I was having problems with the WD20EARX-00P AB51 drive being faulted by ZFS
> until I updated the firmware to 11 and now ZFS is happy (I've also done a
> full extended drive SMART test and the drive is fine).
>
> So what do people suggest (before reversion to r230921) ?

If you're going to prove that it's the new LSI driver, you will probably
have to go back to the old driver.

You don't have to back out your entire tree, you can just back out the
driver itself if you have an SVN tree.  You can go into sys/dev/mps and do:

svn update -r 230714

And then edit sys/conf/files and comment out these three lines:

dev/mps/mps_config.c            optional mps
dev/mps/mps_mapping.c           optional mps
dev/mps/mps_sas_lsi.c           optional mps

Then you should be able to rebuild your kernel with the old driver and see
if the problem occurs again.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry