Re: [review request] usr.sbin/service - make showing files configurable

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 14:37:16 -0700

On 05/14/2012 06:35, Bryan Drewery wrote:

> On 5/13/2012 6:15 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 5/12/2012 8:23 PM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I found service(8) to be inconsistent that it listed files with
>>> `service -e`, but plain services with `service -l`
>
>> That behavior is by design.
>

> Could you please elaborate on the design decision?

For services that are enabled (IOW, a tiny subset of the overall
number) I thought it was useful to indicate to the user where those
services come from. The -l option dumps everything in the directories,
even if it's not a service. Users interested in differentiating
/etc/rc.d from $local_startup can use ls.

> I did of course look in base for uses of service -e and service
> -l, before considering this patch. The only case I can find is in a
> cshrc example, which my patch does not affect.

That's not relevant, as you cannot possibly know what other uses
service(1) is being put to. Also, it's bad form to change the default
output of a tool (and/or the semantics of its command line options)
years after its introduction.

> I had expected service -e to behave like service -l, so I could
> for example, put it into a loop and check all services, using the
> service(8) script itself.
>
> for service_name in `service -e`; do service status $service_name
> || service start $service_name; done

for service in `service -e` ; do
	service ${##*/service} status || service ${##*/service} start
done

(Note, your syntax for the service command is wrong above.)

hth,

Doug

- --