Re: UFS+J panics on HEAD

From: Steven Hartland <killing_at_multiplay.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 23:25:11 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Linimon" <linimon_at_lonesome.com>

> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:58:48PM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
>> While it might be a shame to see FFS go by the wayside are there any
>> big reasons why you would rather stick with FFS instead of moving
>> to ZFS with all the benefits that brings?
>
> - ZFS eats bytes for breakfast.  It is completely inappropriate
>   for anything with less than 4GB RAM.

It does like more RAM than FFS, but can be tuned to work under
smaller amounts however given current pricing does anyone use HW for
servers with that little RAM?

Sure old i386 machines still running legacy ABC that just works so
no need to upgrade it may still have less than 4GB RAM, but modern
machines running large disk sets are a totally different matter.

> - ZFS performs poorly under disk-nearly-full conditions.

Not experienced that here, care to clarify / quantify?

While if this is the case I can see that may cause problems, but the
solution to that is simple don't let your system get that full.

Disks are still relatively cheap even after the disasters, so keep on
top of your space and you wont see that problem; particularly as ZFS
makes it so easy to expand existing pools :)

    Regards
    steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster_at_multiplay.co.uk.