Re: FORTRAN vs. Fortran (was: November 5th is Clang-Day)

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 08:25:58 +0000
On 2 Nov 2012, at 08:18, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> Very many years ago , when 2010 was a very distant future , I do not
> remember the name of the writer , who wrote approximately :
>
> "In 2010 , there will be Fortran , but a Fortran which may be different ."

I remember a talk in the mid '90s by someone from Sun's HPC team where he said 'I don't know what the syntax or semantics of the language we will be using for HPC in 20 years time will be, but I do know one thing about it: it will be called Fortran'

Although the response to GCC's recent decision to drop support for Fortran 77 showed that that language will probably be called Fortran 77...

David