Re: 9.1-RC3 feels okay :-)

From: Ian Lepore <freebsd_at_damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 17:01:58 -0700
On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 00:34 +0100, CeDeROM wrote:
> Isn't this a Xorg bug then? When I have no configuration file Hal
> should
> provide the configuration, so sooner or later the mouse should start
> moving... but is does not..
>
> Do I get http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html correct
> that
> when I am using xorg.conf there is no need for Hal and when I am using
> Hal
> there is no need for xorg.conf?
>
> Thanks :-)

I think that is true in general, usually you have one or the other.
There are times when you need an xorg.conf and you may have hald running
for other reasons, and then you have to get them to play nice together.
I had that situation at one time (I needed to customize something about
my monitor that wasn't auto-detected), but now it just works for me
without any xorg.conf.  When I did have both, turning off AutoAddDevices
and configuring sysmouse as the input device worked for me (but that was
on 8.x, not 9.x, and probably an older port of the X server).

I've also seen a couple sites recommend turning off AutoAddDevices if
you manually configure the mouse without mentioning hal specifically.
They just say things like "X will automatically find your mouse unless
you turn off AutoAddDevices."  It's unclear to me whether X is able to
do that without hal, or maybe those statements are just glossing over
important details to keep the explanation simple.

-- Ian