Re: 9.1-RC3 feels okay :-)

From: Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 08:45:08 -0700 (MST)
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012, CeDeROM wrote:

> I have tested additional options in xorg runtime :-)
>
> With the patched xorg mouse driver 1.7.1 (or driver version >=1.7.2)
> situation is following:
>
> 1. With hald and dbus no xorg.conf file is needed. However it might bo
> option to pass some additional featutes parameters with xorg.conf.
> 2. With no hald and dbus mouse and keyboard does not work in xorg unless
> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False" is added to  Section "ServerLayout" by
> hand in xorg.conf. Without this option input does not work even if
> xorg.conf defines it! AllowEmptyInput=False forces to detect input deviced
> by Xorg at startup.

No.  AllowEmptyInput is wrong.  It was causing so many problems that it
has been removed from later xorg-server releases.

Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off" is the one that means "dont' use Hal to
detect input devices".

> Thank you for this hint! This could be added to the handbook :-)
> AllowEmptyInput=False should be a default for Xorg IMO we can report it to
> the Xorg project! :-)

Really, the simplest solution is to build xorg-server with the HAL
option disabled.  I agree that this should be the default.