Re: 9.1-RC3 feels okay :-)

From: Ian Lepore <freebsd_at_damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 08:53:25 -0700
On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 08:45 -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2012, CeDeROM wrote:
>
> > I have tested additional options in xorg runtime :-)
> >
> > With the patched xorg mouse driver 1.7.1 (or driver version >=1.7.2)
> > situation is following:
> >
> > 1. With hald and dbus no xorg.conf file is needed. However it might bo
> > option to pass some additional featutes parameters with xorg.conf.
> > 2. With no hald and dbus mouse and keyboard does not work in xorg unless
> > Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False" is added to  Section "ServerLayout" by
> > hand in xorg.conf. Without this option input does not work even if
> > xorg.conf defines it! AllowEmptyInput=False forces to detect input deviced
> > by Xorg at startup.
>
> No.  AllowEmptyInput is wrong.  It was causing so many problems that it
> has been removed from later xorg-server releases.

This is disturbing news.  We build embedded systems at work that use X
for presentation and have no input devices.  I understand that
AllowEmptyInput is inappropriate to work around the problem we're
discussing here, but that doesn't mean it's never needed.

> Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off" is the one that means "dont' use Hal to
> detect input devices".
>
> > Thank you for this hint! This could be added to the handbook :-)
> > AllowEmptyInput=False should be a default for Xorg IMO we can report it to
> > the Xorg project! :-)
>
> Really, the simplest solution is to build xorg-server with the HAL
> option disabled.  I agree that this should be the default.

So if you're using xorg-server that was built with hal included (maybe
because you're more a package than a ports kind of person and have no
control over the build), is AutoAddDevices still the right option to
manipulate?  That is, will it disable the use of hal and fall back to
honoring the xorg.conf input devices even if the server was built with
hal support?

-- Ian