Re: A little question about safe mode

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller23_at_insightbb.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 05:25:47 -0400
> Hello there.
> I have problem here, and don't know if it's bug or "feature" :)
> If I prerare boot media (hdd, sd card,usb, etc) with FreeBSD, and NOT
> create there fstab, I see such behavior:

> 1. I need enter manually where from mount root (e.g. ufs:ada0s1a or
> ufs:ada0s1a rw)
> 2. If I enter ufs:ada0s1a rw - I have / mounted in read-only anyway. <== Is
> this bug?...
> 3. If I try to make it rw, with commands
> mount -o rw -u /dev/ada0s1a /
> there is no errors, but root is still RO.
> 4. I can't umount / remount some elsewhere this disk, just to create fstab
>  (it's already mounted and can't be updated).

> So, is this as-by-design, that you need "any other" media to boot, just to
> create fstab, or there is "rw" mode broken, or I just missed something?

> It's very disappointing to be able boot interactively into system, but have
> no way to "fix" fstab to make it non-interactively bootable :)
> Thanks.

> --
> Regards,
> Alexander Yerenkow

I think you would need to
mount -uw /
u being for update.

It looks like your post describes single-user mode rather than safe mode.

When there is no /etc/fstab or the fstab is unworkable, you are put into
single-user mode with a prompt to enter full path to shell or Enter for
/bin/sh

Maybe you could create your boot media with /etc/fstab pointing to the
correct partition?

Tom