Re: Removing firewire support from GENERIC

From: Justin Hibbits <jrh29_at_alumni.cwru.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:38:11 -0400
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk_at_googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> wrote:
> > Firewire is
> >
> >  - a significant security risk
> >  - an obstacle to functining suspend / resume on many systems
> >  - rapidly becoming obsolete
> >  - available as a module
> >
> > The attached patch removes it from GENERIC across the board.  Any
> > serious objections before I commit it to head?
> >
> > DES
>
> Hi DES
>
> Would dcons over firewire still work in GENERIC, with firewire as a module?
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Yes, dcons would still work.  I routinely use dcons with firewire as a
module for debugging on PowerPC.

I have no issue with removing it on PowerPC.  Every situation I can think
of (dcons, booting from firewire disk) I've already tested with firewire as
a module, and my custom kernels will continue to have it built by default
anyway.

- Justin