Re: RFC: removal of share/doc/{papers,psd,smm,usd} in 2 months

From: Marcin Cieslak <saper_at_saper.info>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 21:17:03 +0000 (UTC)
>> Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> those roff sources have been very naughty and will be removed from the
> tree by the end of the year. Most of those papers are severely out of
> date and provide no more use to the system. They can probably also be
> found online using a search engine of your choice.
>
> Should people feel strongly about them, we might be able to move them
> over to the doc repository.

I am using them quite often and I am very fond of having them
locally (useful when working disconnected).

I am very often reading the sendmail guide - it's good, up-to-date
and explains many dark corners.

Recently I found the XDR/RPC docs very useful, as I was porting
some software using it and I didn't have too much knowledge
about the subject.

I used the ffs paper at least twice when fixing a very badly
corrupted filesystem (had to use clri and similar commands
to bring it back into shape). At those times, you don't
want to google around.

It is ok to remove stuff that is horribly obsolete
and there is no chance to get it updated; but then
it should be reviewed.

//Marcin