Re: RFC: removal of share/doc/{papers,psd,smm,usd} in 2 months

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 00:41:41 +0200
> I guess the real bug is that we've been installing these, but never
> referencing them, or telling users where they could find them...  I.e.
> in man vi:
>        ``An  Introduction  to  Display  Editing with Vi'', found in the ``UNIX
>        User's Manual Supplementary Documents'' section of both the 4.3BSD  and
>        4.4BSD manual sets.  This document is the closest thing available to an
>        introduction to the vi screen editor.
>
> refers to usd/12.vi/paper.ascii.gz, but no reader of the man page would
> know that...  Same w/ the other docs in the same section..  I'm not sure
> many users would think to go man hier to see where they are located, or
> even know that they might be distributed w/ FreeBSD...
>
> I think the same thing applies foo memacros and others too...  That the
> man page provides a short reference, and that these provide a more
> detailed description of what is happening...

Yes, I'd also prefer to Not see a load of deletes, some of those things
are expected in Unix, (aka UCB ring binder manuals on my shelf).

Better to give more useful references in man/ to point
to exact full paths in /usr/share.  It'd make FreeBSD easier for
some, & more readers could bring more fixes to keep them up to date.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".