Re: RFC: removal of share/doc/{papers,psd,smm,usd} in 2 months

From: Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 13:55:46 +0200
On Fri, 2012-10-19 at 09:24:33 -0700, Gregory Shapiro wrote:

> As pointed out:
>
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 07:11:24PM +0300, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> > And e.g. sendmail documentation is fresh and updated together with
> > sendmail imports, AFAIR.
>
> Konstantin is correct -- every sendmail import refreshes what is built
> by share/doc/smm/08.sendmailop/Makefile.  That document (operations
> guide) should not be removed.

> That would cause a problem for contrib/ style imports like sendmail.
> In the base source tree, share/doc/smm/08.sendmailop/Makefile (for
> example) reads the documentation files from contrib/sendmail/doc/.
> Moving share/doc/smm/08.sendmailop/Makefile to a different repo would be
> an issue since the document source files are in the src repo.  I don't
> think contrib packages should be imported into two trees.

Which wouldn't have been a problem if we went with a single subversion
repository, and not three, but oh well.

While the current situation is nice wrt. sendmail, we have tons of
information for system administration in the handbook, which is
practically only available online. There's no reason sendmail should be
special in this regard, but we'll have to figure something out on how to
build this then ...

Cheers,
Uli