Re: pkgng suggestion: renaming /usr/sbin/pkg to /usr/sbin/pkg-bootstrap

From: Matthew Seaman <matthew_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 08:37:37 +0100
On 02/09/2012 08:16, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 09/01/2012 23:01, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> As rebuilding the repo database is something you'ld do routinely anyhow
>> as part of normal maintenance
>
> Errr ... what? Why would this be true? Doesn't pkg keep the repo
> database up to date as it's making changes?

Other tools like poudriere or tinderbox are used to maintain the
repository -- building ports etc.  These tools invoke 'pkg create' to
create each individual pkg tarball, and at the end of a session of
package building invoke 'pkg repo' one time to update the repository
catalogue.  It's that last step I was describing.

Mind you, having a mode to add a package to the repo and update the
catalogue all in one would be pretty useful.  Good idea.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.