[solved] manual page | zpool-features < discontinue PF

From: Darrel <levitch_at_iglou.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 17:39:50 -0400 (EDT)
> snip
>>
>> Actually, I am becoming suspicious that FreeBSD does not maintain a OpenBSD
>> Packet Firewall that survives upgrades.  Perhaps I should just take all of
>> the Packet Firewall stuff out of my kernel and learn to use ipfw2.
>>

>> Darrel
>>

> On the subject of OpenBSD Packet Firewall
>
> OpenBSD 4.5 version of PF firewall which is included with the base FreeBSD
> 8.x and 9.x releases is no longer supported by OpenBSD and very back level.
>
> The most current version of OpenBSD is 5.1. PF version 5.0 changed the syntax
> of the NAT statement making PF no longer backwards compatible which breaks
> some Freebsd standard, so updated versions of OpenBSD PF will no longer be
> mass ported to FreeBSD. Any bug fix code to OpenBSD PF will have to be
> incorporated by hand into FreeBSD's version of PF from this point on.
>
> The following will shine some more light on the subject.

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2012-September/006740.html

Second reply.

I intended to change the subject line to solved.

Just for informational purposes, you might not want to do any firewall
comparison on the OpenBSD misc list.  A Packet Firewall developer
responded to me personally, writing that the signal-to-noise ratio was too
high and to refrain from posting to the list.

So much for solving problems and sharing ideas.

Darrel