Re: Anyone have scripts for managing interfaces under new CARP setup?

From: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 12:52:22 +0400
  Freddie,

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 04:10:03PM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
F> Just curious if anyone has any scripts for managing fail-over of multiple
F> interfaces using the new CARP setup in 10-CURRENT.
F>
F> Fail-over of all CARP vhids associated with a single interface is working
F> correctly.  But, I have 2 separate, physical interfaces running with CARP,
F> and want to fail-over everything if one of the links (or boxes) goes down.
F>
F> Figured I'd ask around to see if anyone has done something like this
F> already.  I've been playing with devd.conf settings and logging events, but
F> don't have anything written up to do the actual switch yet.

  Same as for old CARP, you can achieve behavior when a box with lower
advskew yields master status to a second one, setting:

sysctl net.inet.carp.preempt=1

  If an interface on the master has proper link state notification to the
kernel, then once the interface goes down, the advskew on the box will be
demoted and backup box will preempt it.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.