Re: Intel D2500CC motherboard and strange RS232/UART behavior

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:24:56 +0000
In message <201304121214.32331.jhb_at_freebsd.org>, John Baldwin writes:

John,

Quite frankly I don't think you have the age to teach me about
ISA multiport serial cards :-)

>Multiport isa(4) cards were not as generic as PCI cards, so we have several
>different drivers for those (rc, digi, cy) [...]

And the most important of them all: sio(4), where you could use the
flags to configure the generic "lets just slap 8 UARTS and an or-gate
on the IRQ line on an ISA card" type of multiport serial cards.

The cards that needed dedicated drivers were the ones where they tried
to be smarter than that.

>All that aside, none of this is really relevant to the OP's issue.  The kernel
>will share interrupt handlers just fine at the generic interrupt handle level.
You may have missed that I mentioned this:

I have one of these mobos too, and from my similar experiments, I
concluded that the interrupts don't arrive in the first place.

But that was very fast and loose, and I didn't particular need the
four serial ports, so I didn't spend more time on it.